02 September, 2008

Come ON!!!

I am officially boycotting MSNBC. Really, at least Morning Joe. I have it on in the background as the boy comes in and out (and in and out and in and out) the back door and I'm cleaning the kitchen a bit.
Just now Joe and Mika stated that the media has been unfairly treating the minor daughter of John McCain's vp pick, Sarah Palin. They are referring to, of course, her 17 year old daughter who just announced she was pregnant. This was announced after internet speculation that the latest child born to Mrs. Palin (the one with Down's Syndrome) belonged to her daughter. The truth comes out that this in fact isn't true, as the daughter (unmarried and 17!!!) is currently 5 months pregnant. But that's okay. She's keeping the baby (insert Madonna hook here) and marrying the father. Okay, Senator Obama has publicly stated that media coverage of this is wrong and families should be off limits. But this situation is just another in a laundry list of problems I have with Sarah Palin.
SHE KNEW BEFORE ACCEPTING THE POSITION AS RUNNING MATE THAT HER TEENAGED DAUGHTER WAS KNOCKED UP AND RATHER THAN PUTTING HER FAMILY AND THEIR PRIVACY FIRST, SHE ACCEPTED THE REQUEST.
Simple as that. Really, as the talking heads are saying, that so many people can relate to having a 17 year old, or knowing one, that is in the situation that Sarah Palin's daughter is in now. But would all these people who "relate" put their children first, and be with them and counsel them through this time in their (very young) life, or would they say: "Bully for me! I have 2 years "executive" experience managing a state with a total population in the 600,000s and an annual budget one third of Obama's monthly budget. I can totally lead the country! I'm sure my family will be fine without their mom." I am sorry. The very idea of Sarah Palin as Vice President much less President is offensive to me not only as a woman, much less a mother, but especially as an American. Talk about a 3 a.m. phone call commercial. Your turn, Mr. Obama!

1 comment:

just jen said...

1. If this were the DEM ticket choice the GOP would be saying in all their puffed up hypocracy, "there's that liberal left for ya." and it'd be over for the DEMs. but since its the gun toting, bible thumping right we're all to fall in lock step because they've got the corner on morals & values?

2. and i agree with your point entirely. a parent who puts their ambition/country before their children - sending her son to Iraq even though she admittedly doesn't follow the Iraq war and/or the administrations/McCain's policies, inviting the nation's critical eye on a child's unplanned pregnancy - is NOT someone I want representing me on any stage - state, national, and/or international.

3. that THIS is becoming the "typical american family portriat everyone can identify with" is not something to pat our collective selves on the back for by elevating dysfunction to such a high office. i mean, are we now the international equivalent of The Jerry Springer Show?

4. I'm ranting here in your comments because I've GOT to lay off posting them over on mine. BUT I'm DYING to post:

"Dear Sarah,
If you need any advice or shower ideas, just text me.
xoxo,
Lynne Spears"

Oh, I wish you were my neighbor....I'd cut down my tree for you! ;)