28 April, 2008

Normal Development: 2 Years Old

We went to see my favorite pediatrician today (sorry, Dr. Bala, you are a super close second!) and the kids got excellent reports. I opted to not have them do the vaccinations there (Hello, over $300 just for 3 out of the 4 Ava needs alone?!!!!) so it went quicker than it usually would have. The nurses were great, and I will do two separate posts, one for each child.
James weighs 26 lbs (25th percentile) and is 34 1/2 inches tall (50th percentile). He is great. Eyes, ears, mouth and nose all looked great. He is hitting most of his milestones (a little behind on the talking, but not anywhere near enough to be concerned) and was a charming handsome fellow. The last time we were there I put him in the stroller- this time I didn't bother with that at all. He walked in and was really well behaved. We had an early appointment so we didn't have to wait long in the lobby, which was helpful. We got in and as I got James undressed the nurse went over some questions about both kids. We took them in the hallway to get weighed and measured. Then James and I went back into the exam room to wait for Ava who went down the hallway to get her vision and hearing tested. Dr. Jones came in with a Nurse Practitioner, who we actually walked in the building with, and she was really nice. I admitted to Dr. Jones I have a big girl crush on her which was exasperated by the fact that she drives the Audi wagon we saw in the parking lot, and when I asked her if she doesn't always want to drive it FAST she admitted to a big 90+ mph speeding incident. I told her I always want to drive the VW wagon fast and had a similar incident. We are soul mates. She is so unbelievable with the kids- even James wasn't as wary as he usually is with new people/experiences. (I know that he's been to see Dr. J before, but I am not sure how much he really remembers from 7 months ago.) So he is in great health. She told me to stop making the kids separate meals ("You are not a short order cook!" again, love) and gave suggestions to get more calcium in him when he doesn't do so great with the milk. On the way out she handed me a sheet of paper with milestones for each child (hence the title above) published my McKesson Provider Technologies. (Brings back memories of delivering for the pharmacy and how I memorized my AZDL for when I had to pick up narcotics from them!) Here are a few highlights for Young Master James:
-Is constantly in motion
-Walks up and down stairs alone (will rarely hold my hand)
-May have difficulty settling down for bedtime (can you say 8 stories? Can it get worse (wait- don't answer that!)
-Gets upset and impatient easily
-Shows anger by crying or striking out
-WANTS OWN WAY
-Gets upset when daily routine changes (this is why I stick to the schedule, people, even if you are still making fun of me!)
-Becomes more interested in brothers and sisters (can I just tell you how precious that is?)
-imitates with considerable realism ( hopefully only Ava- I'll have to watch myself!)
-Enjoys playing among, not with, other children (he did this at the park last week!)
-Dramatically increases interest in language (new words seemingly every day)
-Shows frustration when not understood (I still don't get the india word?)
-Understands more words than can speak (that's been going on for quite a while!)
-IS IN THE "DO IT MYSELF" STAGE
-CANNOT BE REASONED WITH MUCH OF THE TIME

Wow. This form must have met James in the lobby. It's pretty spot on. I look forward to the things he isn't completing yet (toilet training, which we have started, and using 3-5 phrase sentences instead of his popular 2 word phrase, "all done!")
We are all very pleased at what a healthy and happy little one we have!

No comments: