09 April, 2008

Birdwatching, and the Travelling Thuringers





We saw a few lovelies today. Goldfinches and cardinals in the backyard, and a scarlet tanager flying over us while I was driving (off the road looking at its beautifulness?!). James and I kinda got lost on the way to the gym this morning. This was initially unfortunate, but I kept my wits about me. The last time I got pretty lost (not counting last week also trying to get to the gym) was a St. Joe Road / St. Joe Center Road mixup kind of thing. Today St. Joe Road was AGAIN involved. I knew that I couldn't rely on PJ for help in my lostness because 1) the last time I was lost that St. Joe Road was involved in, I called him and told him I was terribly lost and although he was at his desk and had ACCESS TO MAPQUEST FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! he was nonplussed by the whole thing. No reaction. Oh, and 2) he is in a meeting out of the office all day for the next couple of days. So James and I drove around till we saw the scarlet tanager, and later before I saw a road that I knew we also saw some kind of hawk also flying right over us. I took some shots of birds in the neighbors yard, but although I zooomed it they are still pretty far away. I got the male goldfinch and the male and female cardinal, but not the female goldfinch in the birdbath (mosquito farm). Here are the pretties.
I was going to do a separate post regarding getting lost and going to beautiful downtown Cedarville/Leo, but cannot get a map to put up as a picture. Besides, not much more to say than I already said in this post. Two more things about our spontaneous adventure that we saw: 1) We crossed the St. Joe river, and the river seemed to come right up to the bridge- not a lot of space under the road. Makes me worry a bit for when we get this rain we are supposed to have for the next several days (April showers...) and 2) we saw a really cool Amish farm that had SOLAR PANELS on the side of the barn. Now those Amish already are pretty green, but that is incredible!
Speaking of green, stay tuned for Dishwasher News!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My email flagged you for being a tree loving, Fort Wayne hugging, all over good person. No actually my spider found you because you wrote about the St. Joe and were talking about rivers in your blog. I have been raising awareness about the conditions of the rivers in Ft. Wayne and wanted to extend you the invitation to Earth Day this year! Check out www.savemaumee.org and here is your invitation!

3RD ANNUAL EARTH DAY
SUNDAY
APRIL 20, 2008
NOON - 6PM

Please Join Save Maumee Grassroots Organization on Earth Day to celebrate the cleansing of the riverbanks.
http://www.savemaumee.org/earthday.htm

Our goal is to pick up ALL trash between mile marker 1 & 2, reseed and pole plant the riparian area on the riverbanks and rally the community's awareness about our 3 rivers' condition in Ft. Wayne. Visit www.savemaumee.org to check out our website to see past projects and information.

Educational Info, Old Crown Coffee and Health Food Shoppe snacks will be provided all we need is you!

We will be located on the N. Anthony Blvd. bridge over the Maumee River area. (Hosy Dam) Directly on Niagara Dr. You won't be able to miss it!

Click here for the map and past riparian accomplishments
http://www.savemaumee.org/accomplishments.htm

To help, bring what you can :)
> All children, family, friends (adult accompaniment for 18 years old & younger)
> Garbage bags
> Muddin' shoes
> Gloves
> Your able body (if you don' have anything on the list, Save Maumee will provide these things until supplies are gone!)

Participation will be fun and easy for everyone! Our rivers need OUR help! Donations are appreciated but not expected. All donations will go directly to community service projects like this one.

We are establishing projects to clean up the Maumee River. These self-supported community projects will raise awareness about the unsanitary conditions and begin the slow process of reversing years of pollution. River Restoration is a necessity, NOT a luxury. U.S. citizens depend on the services that healthy streams and rivers provide! Please invest in Natural Capital!


Save Maumee Grassroots Organization Founder
Abigail Frost

Anonymous said...

I've got to know, did you actually take the bird pictures? They're beautiful! Didi.

Wild Wild West Drive said...

Abigail, I've seen your name in an email I get I am sure. We are going to try to make it down there- we are appalled at some of the conditions of the rivers (freezer dumping? Come ON people!) and how there seems to be no knowledge of the ecosystem or that it is not a dumping ground. We'll see if the 2 year old will be able to hang for awhile.
Deb, I took the ones on top and bottom. NOT the ones in the middle. I need to go back to the site and get the name to give them credit!