18 April, 2008

Big Hooge Day






Wednesday night our friend Katie called and asked if we wanted to bring the kids and meet the husbands at the park across the street from the City/County building and have a picnic lunch on Thursday. We said why not? So Thursday morning James and I took Ava to school, stopped by the Health Food Shoppe on the way home, then settled in and made chocolate chip cookies to bring with us. I made the kids nj sandwiches (nutella and jelly) and packed the food and a couple of hats for the kids and off we went. We picked up Ava first, then headed downtown. We got there a few minutes before Katie, long enough to go check out the fountain. They had been working on it Wednesday (we went to pick up PJ who took the afternoon off to golf) and got it fixed and it was beautee-ful. Right after we got a spot picked out to eat, the boys came over and we set up. I brought the picnic blanket, and I had to concur when PJ pointed out that he never thought we would have used it as much as we have. Marybeth wanted to sit up with James and Ava, and as soon as they were done eating it was run around mania! We decided to take the kids to the park afterwards, and run them ragged. It was a success. The only trip up was Marybeth fell, but she soon recovered. Katie even took James down the big slide! After about an hour, we took the kids (James kicking and screaming) back to the cars and headed home. I put those kids to bed immediately and they slept like rocks! We had the csa, so we picked up PJ and then went and got the food, came home and grilled. PJ got out the whiffle ball and bat and Ava showed him her skillz. Seriously that girl can hit the ball- really good for a 5 year old! Maybe we will do some tball next year? So the kids and I were exhausted yesterday. Then today, we went to the bank to get some cash for the kids clothing sale Laurie and I are going to tomorrow (same church as last time I think) and drove down Clinton to come back up Columbia- Laurie had called me the other day to tell me she stopped for a chair at a yard sale and saw 2 orientalish prints that would look great in our living room. On the way to the park we had driven by and I saw them and thought they were great but had no cash and so I thought we'd see if they were out this morning. No luck. So we came home and walked the dogs. There were so many new smells out there that those dogs took forever to get around the block! Fred REALLY needs to go to obedience class as he is very strong and I need him to cooperate. We finally got him home and got Belly, and when we were halfway around East we saw that other little white dog not on the leash. Belly was pulling, and the dog went back across the street toward where it lives, but came back and was a little bit behind us. The kids were not moving forward, and Belly was becoming aware of the dog, and I was getting agita. The gentleman who lives in the nice four square on the secret sidewalk was getting something out of his car and asked if I needed help. Bless his heart! He is the only person who has done that when dogs are out willy nilly and I am with the kids trying to keep the situation under control. We introduced ourselves and I complimented him on his house (it's really lovely-P and J looked at it when it was on the market for about two minutes) and went on our merry way. After we got Belly home, I packed a bag with some water, snacks and sunscreen (BAD mama forgot that yesterday and Ava and I are sunburned!) and loaded James into the buggy and we headed back down to Lakeside Park. Whew! The walk took a long time- it's much easier on the bike! But it was good exercise. James fell once at the park, kind of a doozy, but we took a time out and had a snack and all was well. He even climbed up the ladder on the fire truck so he could go down that slide- he wouldn't do it yesterday! So again I am exhausted. And here on the blog, not sleeping like our children are. Poo! We are flying solo again tonight, and I think I might take the kids out to eat (I know, Friday night!?!?!?) but we have 2 free kids meals to Bob Evans and they have been great and I do not want to cook. We'll see. We got James a bike at the consignment shop Wednesday, and I have gotten him to sit on it once or twice. He scoots and does not want me to show him how to use the pedals. He likes to do things in his own time and his own way. Hopefully he will figure it out before he outgrows the darned thing. Glad I got him that one instead of the new one for $45 at Toys 'R' Us- we would have never gotten our money out of that one! Maybe some bike riding this afternoon too. So that's it. The park TWO days in a row. Maybe Bob Evans tonight. New bike for James. Sleepy mommy. Church clothing sale early tomorrow morning. No sweet oriental print at garage sale. That's enough for now anyway, right?

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

I'm impressed. I can't believe this is my sister! I want to exaggerate how much I love you and my beautiful Ava, and a very handsome James. I love that you keep this blog so I can keep in touch! I'm glad P.J. gets to go out and have fun, considering how hard he works. Do you get that kind of time? I love you and miss you. I will write to your new email, as the blog doesn't let me through w/comment sometimes. E