30 April, 2007

The Chicken and the Egg

Ava always enjoyed her eggs. From when she was tiny and we prepared eggs for her, scrambled, then fried. Now she really likes hard boiled (she calls them "peeling") eggs. But James is another story altogether. I have tried under numerous circumstances to get him to eat eggs. From scrambled to fried to hard boiled whites only, the boy protests LOUDLY when he even sees it much less tastes it. Which leads us to my head scratching this afternoon: He ate an egg !!!
I prepared something that Lynn tought me about 24 years ago, where you brown a tortilla in a frying pan, mix an egg or 2 with a chopped green onion, and cook the egg with the tortilla. It's like an omelette stuck to a tortilla. It's super yummy and I like it with salsa. James was minding his own business fussing about the separate lunch I prepared for him (leftover mac and cheese, some diced peaches, and a banana of which he only ate the peaches and banana) and was insisting on something more. So I started with just the tortilla. He chowed it down FAST. Then I only had tortilla/egg, so I tossed a piece on the tray. He gobbled it down. Surely, I thought, he was not feeling well and hadn't noticed the egg bit and will protest momentarily when I put down another piece. NO !!! He ate it and was reaching out for more. So I laid down a bunch and he ate it till he had enough, and just so I would notice he was done, he threw his milk cup onto the floor for a big finish. Wahoo! So maybe there are some eggs in the chickens future after all!
On a totally unrelated note, I met 5th District Councilman Tim Pape at my new favorite unbelievable grocery store (we're in Fort Wayne people with no Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or Wild Oats so allow me to be a little enthusiastic about this). He was a really nice guy. I told him I saw the council meeting for the vote on Harrison Square, and that I appreciated his vote and his comments on Abe. I think this is a huge step forward for the development of Fort Wayne as a whole, not just downtown, and that the people who were against it had little vision. I had heard a lot about how nobody wanted it, and if this were true, most of the public speaking at the meeting at the vote were super confused, and the councilmen who voted for it would be sorely lacking in votes. I think he's a good guy from what I have viewed on City TV, and I hope his courage (along with that of the others who voted yes) gets him more votes from those who see the vision. From those who don't complain about the library and the Grand Wayne Center, and see that when the ballpark is built there will be restaurants and little shops (we do not need another mall like Jefferson Pointe or Glenbrook, Don) and people will want to live there, because with all of that, it can really thrive. Let's see what we can be, folks, not just sit and complain about what we are not. Give the mayor and his team some credit for all the great stuff they have implimented during their tenure, don't just criticize them so that you make yourself look better and smarter. This is a good town, but can be even better. Don't be scared to make it so.

No comments: