06 January, 2009

What we had for dinner*





I had some kielbasa in the freezer, and not sure what I wanted to do with it (baked beans, our usual standby, didn't sound great)I went trolling on Epicurious.com looking for something yummy. I found it. Remembering I had some lentils in the pantry from a previous adventure, I was happy that I had all the ingredients. They are all pretty basic. I did make some changes, however, that I think made a difference. First, the recipe was for two. I have four. Also, rather than cook the lentils in water, I made some bouillon and cooked them in that. Adjusting spices here and there, this is what I came up with. Of course the kids didn't eat it. I think if I had made a loaf of bread and they could have had that they would have maybe eaten more of this to go with it. As it was, Ava liked the lentils, but not the kielbasa. It didn't look like one of the three meals that is currently acceptable to James so he immediately proclaimed it "Yucky!". I really liked it, and it PJ seemed sincere in his positive response to it, so I think it's a repeater. It's nice because the lentils are inexpensive, the sausage I find on sale at Meijer rather often in a buy one get one situation, so there's often some in the freezer, and besides chicken could easily be substituted. The rest of the items are usually on hand, and one could maybe add a can of diced tomatoes, if one wanted. Anyway, it's recipe is in it's new home on an index card in the recipe box. It's a repeater.

Warm Lentil Salad with Sausage
1 cup lentils
4 cups water (or vegetable broth or chicken broth)
1 bay leaf
1 large onion, chopped fine
2 carrots, chopped fine
2 ribs celery, chopped fine
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh minced parsley
1 lb kielbasa, cut crosswise into 1/4" slices
In a sauce pan, combine water, lentils and bay leaf. Bring the water to a boil and simmer the mixture, covered, for 15 -20 minutes, or until lentils are just tender. While the lentils are simmering, heat olive oil in a heavy skillet. Cook the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and thyme over moderately low heat, stirring often. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until vegetables are softened. When lentils are tender, drain, removing bay leaf. Add lentils, vinegar, and parsley to the skillet mix, cooking over low heat till heated through. In another skillet, brown the kielbasa. Serve lentils topped with the kielbasa.

*The kids opted for waffles. I am a bad mom.



1 comment:

just jen said...

no, no. the queen of bad moms let's them eat chips for breakfast, fruit roll-ups for lunch, and chocolate pudding for dinner with a tall glass of "pink milk" (strawberry Nestle Quick) for dessert. so back away from my crown, sista! ;)