27 January, 2009

Evening Prayer by Ava Pauline


"Dear Lord, thank you for my family. Please don't let there be any bad guys. Please don't let there be any fires. Please don't let there be any Indians, and if there are, please don't let them have any weapons and let them be friendly. Amen."
I get the fire thing. I had it at her age. I had an advanced escape plan that went to hell when my sister was born and the only way I was going to get her out was to simply jump out the window with her in my arms. Ava has been obsessing a bit about fire- I hope she is not psychic!- and although I initially thought it a ploy to postpone bedtime, it's clear she is truly concerned. So when I put her to bed we have to discuss it for a few minutes. The Indians- I have no idea where that one came from. I have seen no Indians around here. Except for that one guy at the Derby Girls that looked straight off the res, but then again, I don't know if she is speaking of American Indians or Asian Indians. (Being completely un-pc I thought of something else first. Clearly, I have a limited scope of friends.) I am hoping there is no more worry of being attacked by Indians. I am also hoping she does not develop my extreme fear of The Boogeyman who lives in the closet of the front bedroom at 19 S. Pleasant Street in Princeton IL. At least he did, circa 1975. Perhaps he's retired now.

1 comment:

just jen said...

you didn't by any chance see the Indian in the Cupboard movie, did you? i haven't seen it but just the previews sort of spooked me. and i'm OLD! Greg had a fire thing too. maybe in the light of day, you can do a fire drill. so she knows and has acted out the plan. knowledge is power. hugs to you!