13 July, 2008

Recap from last week plus more!


Last week was both eventful and uneventful. Monday PJ had off for the holiday, and he was able to golf a lovely 18 holes with a friend he's been trying to coordinate a golf outing with for quite some time. Unfortunately, Tuesday was back to work for him, and the weather matched the kind of mood one has going back to work after a nice 4 day weekend, even if one loves their job! In the early afternoon the weather got really dark, and I went upstairs to check the radar on the computer. PJ called while I was doing that and asked why we weren't in the basement. I told him that we have yet to go to the basement when the weather was like this, and besides, the weather radio hadn't even gone off yet. Cue weather radio downstairs. The kids go down to take care of it and I see on weather.com that there's a severe thunderstorm warning and a tornado watch for our area. Meanwhile, PJ tells me that he heard the tornado siren go off (which I didn't like thinking about him on the 7th floor of an 8 floor building!) and I read to him the warning on the computer that stated GEORGETOWN AREA! So off the kids and dog* and I went to the basement. I brought their beanbag chairs down and the little video player so they'd have something to do. I had laundry going, so I folded clothes. It lasted about 20 minutes, and as the winds were moving 60-75 mph (oh yes they were) the storm blew past pretty fast and we were back upstairs in no time. Good thing too, because that boy was ready for his nap. (*As far as dog goes, it was Fred. Belly was upstairs cowering under the guest room bed from which I could neither coax her or drag her. Lionel was not going to come down unless it was of his own volition, so I left the door cracked, and hoped he would do what he always does when I leave the door cracked which is come down to investigate. He did. Till Fred chased him back upstairs. It was all I could do to keep Fred down there. It wasn't pretty. It will be much better when the family room is finished!)
Wednesday we did some more stuff around the house, it was still pretty wet from the day before, so we didn't play outside. Thursday though the kids were going stir crazy so my friend L and her son and the kids and I all went to Shoaff Park. That's where Ava plays soccer (or as James calls it Ava RUN!) and there's a new splash pad there. It's pretty nice! The only bad thing is either due to it's proximity to the river, or due to the heavy rains we had it was pretty wet and muddy. It was fun tho! James didn't find much interest in the splash pad. He walked around pondering whether or not to get wet. Ava and Henry went crazy and had fun. After a while we had a picnic lunch and then played on the playground right next to the splash pad for a few before going home to take a GREAT nap. It was really nice for the kids to be able to run some of that pent up energy out of their systems. The next day we went to Target for a few things and one thing we acquired during that trip was 2 of those water shooter things like Paul and Jennifer have. When we got home I found an old rubbermaid tote in the basement and took the water cannons and some cheap plastic cups out to the yard. Bathing suits and sunscreen were donned, and the water play began. The kids washed (Ava her Barbie car and James his new digger) and shot water and watered the hosta. After a little over an hour the water was gone, so we decided to go in and have some lunch. It was a lovely way to spend such a hot morning. That evening Jennifer came over and we attended the Northside Neighborhood Home and Garden Tour. There were more homes open this year, and we were able to get to almost all of them! It was really fun and we saw some stunning homes. The last house was owned by the guy who was asking the police neighborhood liaison officer about suspicious activity at a neighbors house at the neighborhood association meeting I attended. I asked him and he said it's gotten better. His house used the greatest colors, and the backyard was stunning. He even had a bougainvillea out back, and I asked him about it. He said he's prepared for it to be an annual, but he's going to try to winter it in the basement. It was all lovely. Saturday morning, we had to be downtown at the West Central neighborhood for PJ and Ava to be in the Three Rivers Festival parade!!! More on that next. I took over 225 photos (!!!) and have whittled it down to about 85. Who needs 75 pictures of marching bands? But there were some fun ones. I'll probably upload them all to flickr but post a few on here. If/when I do, I'll link from here. I'm off to get those pictures onto the computer so you can see our girl in the parade!

No comments: