06 July, 2008

Lahnoohr (Translation: Lawn Mower)


We recently suffered the loss of the Black and Decker electric corded mower we have moved with us since Mesa. In researching the best mower for a replacement, it was decided as we have a relatively small lawn area, a reel mower would be our best option. A real reel mower is the old fashioned kind- the kind that works on man power, not horse power. There is no engine to start, no cord to take care to not run over, no huffing of gas fumes, just some blades and some pushing. We got the Scotts brand, as it received good reviews online and was cost effective. We have yet to obtain the grass catching bag that catches some of the clippings- after first mow I decided it was necessary, but after the last mow I am not so sure. Not as many made it into the house, so it isn't a priority. I have mowed the back twice and the front once. The main thing I like about it is that the kids can be in the yard with me as I mow (or PJ as the case may be). It is not any more difficult to get the hill in front of the house than the old mower. I am still getting used to it and will have to find a "system" as it were for mowing, but altogether it works well. The only thing that really drives me nuts about it is that if there's a piece of mulch or a small stick of any kind it will get caught up in the blades and have to be removed before one can continue mowing. And I think (and perhaps this will change once I find a flow with it) that there may need to be more trimming or edging as it doesn't get too close to certain areas. And I am not sure if it's due to rain or just the way it is, but the yard seems to grow at a rate that requires mowing twice a week. That is perfectly fine as it's good exercise. And while we could cut the grass lower, it really is better for your lawn to keep the weeds out if you cut it a little higher and more often.
Altogether, I give the Scotts Classic 20" Reel Mower a positive review. It will become more positive if PJ mows more than me!
image courtesy of homedepot canada

No comments: