06 March, 2008

Quick Fix


Last night while I was chopping broccoli for dinner, there was an unfortunate incident. Now before we go on, let's travel back in time to 2003, shortly before we brought Ava into this world. PJ had cut himself (I think he was at home and not work, and I know we were living in Mesa). He mentioned to me the cut and was proud to report that he had alleviated the need to go for stitches by using a little super glue. I became Un-superglued. Seriously? When, in all his years of medical school, (hahaha) did he learn that superglue was an acceptable substitute for stitches? I went on and on and I am sure he tuned me out after a short while (I would have) and we went on with our lives. And his cut healed. But this still taxed me. So much so, that at the baby shower I mentioned it. Debbie's friend Judy, a surgical nurse, looked at me and said, "Don't tell PJ, but superglue is not unlike what we use in the e.r. sometimes!" That's okay though, I said, because you guys are medical professionals! It makes sense for you to do it if necessary, and besides, you can determine if that will work or if stitches are necessary. Years later, I did tell PJ what Judy had said and we laughed and I got an "I told you so!" that I probably deserved. Now, fast forward to that broccoli. I am now taking the stalks and trimming off the outers and chopping and using the nice soft fleshy inner parts as not to feel like I am wasting. It's yummy, and most times I've done it the stalks have been pretty beefy. But not last night. I knew right as I was starting in on them that they were too narrow and probably not worth the effort for the food they would return. But onward I pressed, literally, right into my left index finger. I tried to keep it from him, but knowing it was deepish, I figured I'd better show it to "Dr." PJ. He at first said it wasn't so bad, but upon further inspection declared I might want to take it to Urgent Care for stitches. That I have never had before. That I should have probably had with the cut I gave myself that first Thanksgiving I made at Brendans house where there was a scar and I didn't have feeling in that exact area for a while. That scared me a bit. "Probably just one, maybe two stitches. But still, you might want to think about going." I looked up at him hopefully. "Do you think...maybe...?" I hemmed. I hawed. I finally had to ask. "Superglue?" His face lit right up. "Do we have some?" I opened the junk drawer and lo and behold there was a faint Hallelujah chorus as the tube was found. I held still while he tended to my wound. "How long till this baby is healed? " I asked. "Hours. Mere hours." he breathed. And in fact, although I wore kitchen gloves during clean up and tried to keep water off of it, it seems to have held! I am now wearing the Barbie band-aid that Ava retrieved for me immediately upon hearing of my booboo. I am a very stylish girl. Not only is he a rockstar of home improvement, he is also pretty handy for kitchen first aid!

No comments: