06 March, 2008

My Husband is a Home Improvement Rock Star




Shortly after our return from AZ, PJ asked if I noticed a smell to our water. I did not. I never do. But he was on the case. So, a few hours later he informed me that he had narrowed down the culprit to the hot water heater. He initially thought it was the softener, as he had added new salt- a different kind, but figured out it was only the hot water that smelled. I still had not smelled it. The next day while giving the kids a bath I actually smelled it. I called to tell him, and that night he went to Home Depot to look at water heaters. While there, he found a gentleman at the water heaters and mentioned the smell. The gentleman told him it was a pipe inside the water heater that had corroded, and if he fixed it soon there would be no need for a new water heater. In fact another gentleman in the aisle ( a plumber) seconded that emotion, and they told him he would need a certain sized socket (which they did not have) and he could open up the water heater, remove this pipe, and if it was corroded then he would know that was the problem. And if that was the problem, it would be the most expensive thing to fix with a water heater short of getting a new water heater. PJ informed me it was $22.00. Seriously. So after work the next day he purchased the socket he needed (actually a whole set-probably one of the only tools he doesn't have and will come in handy with bikes too!) and headed downstairs. First he shut off the water. Then he removed the pipe. YUCK! It was corroded all right. All the way through at each end! So in the new pipe went, and the water was turned back on, and all was right with the world. The smell went away right away! I told PJ he was probably one of a dozen people who even knew about this kind of thing and had the chutzpa to open it up and dig in. I am again quite grateful for my handy husband, and really glad to avert the need for a whole new water heater as my mil told me today they had to replace theirs and she told me the total it was scary. More than $22.00! So PJ wins the Rock Star of Home Improvement Award for February 2008. He's won several times in our nearly 7 years of marriage, and I am sure his streak will continue.

No comments: