24 January, 2008

Thinking about the economy

So this afternoon listening to NPR, they were discussing the tax rebate that is part of the stimulus package. That the idea is for people to get a little extra cash in their pocket from their Uncle Sam, to go and spend how they would like. Thinking about this made me a little perplexed. Why stop there? Why are you going to send me a check and make me think "Woohoo I have money for a new flat screen t.v.!" when we (Americans) are having such a hard time making ends meet that we are relying on credit! People have such a hard time that they are deeper in debt than ever. And I am not even addressing those working minimum wage, or 2 part time jobs with no benefits, and there are plenty (way too many) families like that out there. I am talking about families who have one working adult making a pretty good wage, and that live maybe not frugally but there's not much spending that is not necessary. New tires, new garage door. Medical. Dental. It's insane. My first thought was that if we received a check it would go straight to the credit card. Wouldn't getting out of debt be a better way to stimulate the economy?

No comments: