08 October, 2008

No Maverick, No Gentleman

In reference to politics, I consider myself an independent. (Stop laughing!) Even with his faults, at the beginning of this election I considered McCain to be a man of some integrity. No more. I am not speaking of the negative ads against Obama in which he tries to tie him to a man who was involved in a questionable organization in the 1960's (when Mr. Obama was 8. Seriously). I am speaking of his lack of speaking out regarding remarks made at recent rallies. There were 2 young men spotted at a Palin rally wearing Obama tshirts with red paint x'ing out Obamas face, and on one there was writing. On one shirt you can also see a "n" and a "g". When putting Mr. Obama's character into question and rhetorically asking who he is, we hear something stunning. At one rally, we hear "Terrorist!". At another, we hear something chilling: "Kill him!" At Palin's rally where we hear "terrorist!", one is not surprised that she does not respond. I believe that one of two things could have happened: 1) that she heard and didn't respond and was secretly glad to have accomplished her "goal" of putting his charachter into question, or 2) that she is so self involved that she didn't hear. Either way, for her I don't expect anything. She does not have the smarts or charachter to stand up to this. But the McCain that we all thought we knew- the one we are having a hard time believing is allowing the campaigning to go the direction it has, especially in light of the character assasination put upon him 8 years ago by the people he now employs, that McCain I expected more from. I ask you- for a man who touts himself as a man of the people, a man of character and a man worthy of your respect, I ask you sir, where is the outrage? How do you pause at hearing that horrifying remark and yet pass on as if it didn't exist? How can you stand there (with your loyal base) and by saying nothing basically not only allow but condone this message? When looking for a leader, I believe that beyond the issues, people are looking for someone with strength of character- someone who stands up for what he believes. And someone who is willing to rebuke things that are wrong, even at the possible cost of a few votes. That is a gentleman. That is a maverick. You sir, have shown you are neither. And I know I am not the only one who is disappointed. (p.s. Don't even get me started on "That one.")
Edit: Sorry, I got so angry that I confused the remarks / rallies. The terrorist happened with McCain, and "Kill him" happened with Palin. Regardless, unacceptable that nothing was said.

No comments: