17 October, 2008

Existing

Sorry for the no blogging lately, for whoever is out there reading. Part of it is that I am tied down daily to a bunch of blogs trying to get through this election cycle. Part of it of course is also the kids. I am trying to be a little more hands-on, especially with Ava, as it seems when I am the demeanor is definitely better. I guess that's attachment parenting, although the kids obviously aren't babies, but I think its similar in nature. It's something I am constantly fighting with myself over. I really need to think about it consciously, because it seems that if I can get a moment to myself I will take it, even if it's to do something unnecessary (the Atlantic blogs? O.C. reruns? Please!) And when I think about it reasonably, it seems so ridiculous to be spending my time doing that rather than cleaning or prepping dinner so I can do something with the kids when they are awake instead of having them play while I do the cleaning and cooking. Does that make sense? Is it like the feminine mystique without the desire to get a job? It isn't that I don't love the kids and I am really seriously absolutely grateful to be able to stay home with them. But could it be in the back of my mind that I am afraid of losing my own identity? Perhaps I haven't really worked that out since we had the kids. I would think that it's a process. One I need to think about more. Obviously, I need a therapist.
Things are running relatively smoothly around here. The christmas card idea has been hatched, we have a Santa, and are currently on schedule. No more details, though. Check your mailboxes mid December.
Ava is doing great in school. She is working on her letters and doing quite well with her writing. She's been on a field trip already and has another scheduled for Monday. I would say all in all she is thriving, but there is always a comment made after we pick her up about one little girl in her class or another being mean, and girls seemingly constantly being fickle about friends. "You are not my friend anymore" is a popular catchphrase in kindergartenland it seems. I need to figure out how to help her with that. Right now we are working on keeping her self esteem high, not taking it personally and walking away. It seems so soon to be going through this!
James loves school as well. He is speaking more, and in sentences more often too. He has a great time and is always anxious to grab his bookbag (bopop) and get to school. He loves his teachers, and seems to be tired when we get him so he must be getting all he can out of those 2 hours!
We managed to get sick. It's inevitable. Something is always going around, especially this time of year. And with the weather being as erratic as it's been the last couple of weeks, we knew it was coming. Started with the kids, then PJ, and Sunday I finally succombed. PJ and I have been nursing dayquil to get through the day, and the kids have been healing au natural. There was one night that poor James slept miserably due to coughing, and I found out that honey and lemon juice together is good for kids' coughs, but now that I'm prepared he seems to be better. PJ is going to the doctor this afternoon, I think he thinks it's now a sinus infection. We'll know more later.
The leaves are all changing and it's just stunning. We drove south on Crescent this morning and it seems that all the colors I am trying to fill my house with (browns, golds, reds, greens) were intermingled in all the trees. The trees in the tree lawns seemed to stretch to reach the trees on the other side of the street in kind greeting. The temperature is now in the low 60's, and we covered to tomato plants in fear of frost last night. It's also getting necessary to rake the leaves, as the big oak in our tree lawn is getting ready for winter. The squirrels are super busy hiding their acorns to the dog's chagrin, and as lovely as it is, we know what is coming. But for now I just want to bask in the glow of the changing leaves and the sunlight as it sits lower in the sky.
Will report more when there's more to report. We are well and hope the same for all of you!

No comments: