02 October, 2008

Burgle Update

We got most of the stolen items back from the property room tonight. PJ went down to the cop shop and met with the crime scene technician and brought home everything short a couple of things. I will be calling the detective tomorrow to inquire into the missing items.
We also received a letter from the prosecutors office in reference to our burglar. Even though there were three involved (there were witnesses!) only one has been charged in our case. Another one was charged in our friend's case, and the third guy hasn't been charged. That's not to say he won't ever be charged, but seemingly at this time they aren't too interested in him. Our guy, let's call him Mr. Thug, is no longer a candidate for my pity. Just last night my friend Jennifer and I were talking in her car after coming back from the Vera Bradley presale (there's a story there I'll share in a minute) about maybe the people who broke into our house weren't looking for drug money- maybe they were looking to feed a family. Maybe they were really desperate and couldn't get gainful employment. Then today, in the letter, I find that Mr. Thug has a record. In addition to the charges related to our burglary, there were three additional unrelated felony charges. They have sent him a plea offer, and the number of years on it is substantial. I was told that most offers are not accepted prior to pretrial hearings, so be prepared to continue as normal, and be prepared to go to trial. If he accepts the proposal, and is a good boy in prison (the term DOC was used) Indiana law says that for every good day you get one day taken off. So if he's sentenced to 40 years, and is really good, he can be out in 20. But he has to stay out of trouble for a long time. (40 is not the actual number stated. I made it up.) Regardless, it's still a lot of time. I no longer wonder at the motives. Judging from the charges on the plea agreement and the fact that he was on probation as well, it's safe to assume they were nefarious.
Okay the story from last night- we finished shopping the pre-sale, and Jennifer was dropping me off. We were talking in the car- about racism (and adjusting to living in Indiana and Fort Wayne), and about the kids mostly. Time got away from us and as I was getting ready to go into the house, there was a bright light behind us. At first we thought it was just our neighbor coming home and parking her car, but it turns out that it was a policeman who had received a call about a strange car with people sitting in it for a while. I was stoked! I had my i.d. out and gave it to him, told him we were just chatting and that I lived across the street. He said one of the neighbors had called and I told him I was glad- that we had recently been burgled and I was happy the neighbors were keeping an eye on the goings on. He looked at me like I was insane. But I really was happy. Everyone looking after each other and trying to keep each other safe. It's pretty cool.
I don't think I can watch the debate tonight. I am exhausted, and can find clips online tomorrow. I already know that Biden knows a lot more than she does about running the country (not a dig necessarily- he's been a Senator for a long time) and I don't have the energy to try and figure out what she is saying when asked a question. She will be ready with an occasional jab and her folksy stories and that crazy ass accent, and will do her darndest to answer the question with a non answer. I kinda wish I wasn't so tired- it would be interesting after all.
Good night all!

1 comment:

just jen said...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/05/gopers-attempting-to-supp_n_132026.html

what the hell, dude?????