24 October, 2008

Early voting and PJ cuts me off!

Two things- last night we voted. (More on that in a minute.) This morning PJ told me that he invited a friend whose family is out of town to dinner on Saturday, and he originally accepted the invitation only to shortly thereafter beg off as his friend had gotten tickets to see Sarah Palin (shudder). I went off. Ridiculously stupid, mocking her extremely expensive wardrobe(I don't begrudge her the clothes but did they need to shop at Saks and Niemans and call regular people elitists???) and the $22k plus spent on makeup alone the last month and the fact she won't say people who blow up abortion clinics are terrorists or that McCain says he doesn't have a litmus test when it comes to the supreme court but she tells James Dobson that McCain will make sure all the super conservatives will get their way when he gets into the White House? I didn't even get all that out because PJ kindly told me to shut my trap. He doesn't want to hear it any more. Poor gentle reader, you are now literally my only outlet. My own husband doesn't want to hear it. Who can blame him? I think he's lucky to be able to say stop. For me this election cycle has been my crack. My beloved children will be so happy after November 4th to no longer be neglected. (Or if it goes the other way, they will be neglected during my search for a new home abroad.)
Secondly, we decided to join those who vote early. In Fort Wayne, early voting is held at the City / County Building where PJ works, so we decided to do it last night, as they were open later Tuesdays and Thursdays. I fed the kids early, and threw a bunch of snacks in the bag (Yes the children will snack after a full meal) and threw the bike rack on the car and headed downtown. PJ met us in the parking garage, and we went in. We signed a form first, then headed over to where the voting was taking place. There was a line, but it was not too long and was moving with reasonable quickness. There was a person guiding the people in line to a bank of windows where you would give them the signed form and your photo id, and they gave you your ballot. Then there was another person who took each of us to an open machine, where she got it ready for us. I had Ava and PJ had James. I won't say who I voted for, but I will say I didn't vote the party line. (It makes me a little upset that there's that option.) There were some Republicans who received my vote and some Democrats. When we were done I felt so proud to have voted for Obama/Biden. Not because of his race, but because of the two I firmly believe he is the true leader, the one to bring this nation together and do great things. I even got a little verklempt! But one thing I didn't get was a sticker. That's okay. It was still worth it.

1 comment:

just jen said...

oh, how i wish to be your neighbor! we'd kiss the husbands good-bye at the door, all wrapped in cozy bathrobes, steaming cups of coffee in hand, kids tucked under cozy blankets watching morning shows while cereal gets soggy in room-temp $6 a gallon milk. once the cars backed out of the drive we'd hustle inside, whip the kids into action "pants! shoes! coats! NOW!" race them to school like there a pack of angry lip-stick wearing pitbulls hot on our heels. kiss them at the curb's edge and lay rubber back home. i'd absolutely have something warm (like brownies) you'd have tea and we'd talk ourselves into oblivion! only stopping once the school principal calls to let us know school let out two hours ago and our children are asking to be picked up by CPS. husbands could lament their woes over this blasted election season over a couple of beers while grilling hot dogs or planting trees. oh...my new happy place: Indiana!