16 December, 2007

So sad to leave



We packed up (almost all) our belongings and set out the morning after Thanksgiving. We had intended to have corncakes at one of my favorite places, and actually found it quite easily from directions Matt gave us but they were closed. We were toast. We drove and drove and found nothing that looked like somewhere we would be able to feed the kids. So I began to despair but as PJ drove around (seriously he gets around so well in Chicago, it's like he's lived there!) I spotted a place that appeared cozy and open. So he found a parking spot (also quite an achievement in that city) and we went in. The place was called Nookies, and aside from the fact that they only accepted cash (there was an atm in the lobby) which irritated me for some reason, it looked great. And it was. There was a reasonable amount of business there, but the service was great and the food was really good too. All in all a good experience. After a few minutes of looking around it became apparent that we were in Lincoln Park. Really well dressed people, some of which looked really disinterested about anything, really. Without the hunger pangs I was able to notice some of the homes on the way back to the car. So beautiful. I love Lincoln Park. There's too much money there, so in addition to not being able to afford it it would not be somewhere I would find people of my own ilk as it were, but since I was a child there's always been something special about that area. After breakfast we headed down to Trader Joes (seriously that man has GPS in his head or something because he found it effortlessly) and purchased provisions. We are already on our last box of Joe's O's and our last container of apple juice, but there are other things (like the mega ginormous bottle of olive oil and the numerous bottles of salad dressing and of course soap) that will keep us going for quite a while. The day we left was quite beautiful if still quite cold, so I tried to squeeze in a few photos out the car window. I know, VERY professional. But still, you can maybe see what I see in this big beautiful city. (I have mentioned before on this blog that every time we go to Chicago I think I might want to live there and by the time we leave I think I will never ever think of living there again, but this time due to the holiday there was VERY little traffic, so the consideration remained. I am sure only until next time.)

No comments: