31 December, 2007

I Blinded Myself with Science


Apparently there's an old wives tale floating around out there that when one feels a sickness, such as a cold or flu, coming on, it behooves one to slather the soles of their feet with Vicks Vaporub before bed, then cover the feet with socks. After waking up two mornings in a row with the stuffiness and sore throat, I decided to conduct an experiment last night. On went the Vicks (which I did not purchase for this particular purpose, I purchased it because it is winter season and between PJ and I there will be several opportunities for use!) I woke in the night feeling the chills and stuffy, but am not sure of the time as the only clock is on PJ's side of the bed. I was angry, hoping this little trick would work. But when the alarm rang and it was time to get up, there was no sore throat and the chills were nonexistent! I was still a bit stuffy, which is fine, and am feeling fine in general today. I went looking for a picture to use for this post (the ones I took did not turn out) and came across this little tidbit. I do not at this point have a cough, so I will continue with the experiment for one more night to see if it's just the cough it takes care of. If I wake up the same then I will hold off till the cough comes. My little experiment is shadowed by my husbands desire to conduct a study showing whether a 95% furnace is more efficient than a geothermal heating/cooling system by finding the source of the electricity we use. He blinded me with science!

1 comment:

sulu-design said...

I'm passing this post on to my mother - she'll love it. Vapo Rub is one of her "wonder" cures (apparently it does wonders on cracked and infected skin). She'll be thrilled to find a new use for it.