16 December, 2007

Anticipation



On a trip to Chicago last year (I think it was) it didn't occur to me until I was almost there that I was going to have to drive over the Skyway. I have a thing with bridges since the honeymoon trip in Oregon and Washington (don't even get me started on being in a car there- it was one of the previously mentioned experiences where hurling myself from the car seemed like a good idea) and the Skyway has been daunting, but not an issue as my beautiful husband is usually more that willing to drive. But on said trip, I was talking to Jason (who called to check my eta) and when he asked where I was and I couldn't give an answer, he asked if I had gone over the Skyway yet. I about slammed on the brakes. Thinking better of it, I chose to nearly hyperventilate instead. We discussed the odds of the bridge collapsing, how they were slim to none, and we discussed my stellar ability to keep the car on the road in my own lane in worse than perfect conditions, and how today would be no different as we had near perfect weather. I hung up immediately to worry and ponder and before you knew it the bridge was in sight. I talked my self over the bridge (literally) and felt such a sigh of relief after being on solid ground. I promised that if I made it safely over the bridge I would not complain about whatever traffic happened to be on the Dan Ryan waiting for me. I would not care that the cars were not moving in the Express lane if we could just make it over the bridge. Which of course we did. And I kept my promise and did not complain about the inevitable traffic on the Dan Ryan. And since that trip, I remember the relief and sheer happiness when the skyline came into view. And since then I also do not feel the sheer disappointment of not getting the whole skyline in view if the weather is bad. It is just so nice to be there. So here are a few pictures of the feeling I get when coming into Chicago.

No comments: