16 May, 2008

Face Lift or DIRT!



At the end of last summer we took four of the six bushes in the front out. They were your standard round bushes, but had been (or maybe not been) trimmed strangely and were bare in spots. It was my desire to put something "pretty" in their place, at least before fall got too far along, especially because when we would be out front it looked terrible. We put up new house numbers and new lights but that only helps so much. Still a big bed of dirt with some gnarly weeds staring at you when you pass by our house. No bueno! So this year, as the tradition was started last year, PJ and Ava went to purchase flowers for the big pots that go out front. I knew we wanted to put hydrangea out front in the bare spots, but wasn't sure what else. PJ said we should have a plan, but secretly I had abandoned that notion as I was desperately wanting to fill that brown space. Turns out he abandoned that plan too, as when they came home from the home improvement super center they had in their possession two hydrangea- one for each side. I had already planted some hosta out there after dividing some of what was in the back (there's still so much more!) and we decided to divide some day lilies and put them on either side of the hydrangea. I have a few ideas of little things to fill in, PJ doesn't want too much and I agree, but I think maybe I will hit the Allen County Extension plant sale this weekend and see about what they have. Maybe not tho, because if it doesn't rain I want to walk the kids up to the dedication of the new East State Village Arch! Besides, I know I want to put in only a few things, like some fringed bleeding heart and some hardy mums. The fringed bleeding heart blooms in the spring and the mums will give fall color. Maybe one other evergreenish thing to keep some interest in the winter. Although there will be snow for that, so maybe not. Anyway, all the transplants seem to be doing well, and all that's left is a few more little fillers and some mulch for the south side.
The pots are filled with pansies, geraniums, and petunias. There was even enough to do the hanging basket for by the back door! I had gone with L and C to the Botanical Conservatory annual plant sale that morning (if only I had known what was to transpire in the front that morning!) and picked up a lavender plant and put that in a pot as well. I probably will put it in the ground later but not till I figure out a place that is right. It's all quite pretty now, and I occasionally drive down West to see the front of our house with it's new look. But that is mostly just because the alley is a disaster of potholes. Will post more pictures when it's (as James would say) ALL DONE!!!!!
p.s. sorry about the mess, PJ and Ava had gone golfing and James had helped me with the pots, (of course, it involved his new fave, DIRT!) so there was a bit of a mess. I got the toys and tools hauled into the back yard with the help of the wagon and wheelbarrow, but wanted to snap a shot or two before we lost all light.

No comments: