08 May, 2007

Somebody Feed My Son, Please!


I do not know how he does this but manages almost always to get a piece of macaroni on his nose or perhaps ear, always in his pants and mostly down his shirt. It's one of his hidden talents I suppose.

After a question about a meshugena, I changed the last post title to Oy Vey, which is one of the myriad things I say to the boy when we are attempting to eat. Attempting being the operative word. (I typed work in instead of word just now- slip of the finger or slip of the Freud???)

His latest thing is that he wants to eat what I am eating (seemingly at breakfast and lunch only). Even if what he has is something that is always successful. Like this morning he had O's, his cup of milk, and a large banana. Ava likes to occasionally have that all together in a bowl, but due to size and messiness, James has it compartmentalized. I sat down with a bowl of oatmeal, and that boy hollered until tears were streaming out of his eyes and I gave him a bite of my oatmeal. Now for those of you who say, "This is a good thing, it will be easier for you to make meals for the kids when he wants to eat what you are eating!" I say in return that yes, that makes complete sense in theory. But remember I am already making an alternative meal for the picky little birdie, and there's the on James' time factor to consider. I.e., I gave him unlimited oatmeal, and he seemed happy. I began to daydream about meals eaten all together (with a wee girl complaining about what she had to eat of course), and prepared to give him another bite since his mouth was less full and he was hollering and reaching for it. But wait! The spoon goes up to hollering boys mouth, and instead of hollering abating, it grows louder AND the push/rub move comes out! Now, I haven't seen that move in quite a while. It's the one where he pushes the spoon away then rubs his eyes to have his hands in his face lest you come back with the spoon for a second try. So I back off, the hollering quiets, and a mere moment later it begins again with the reaching. He wants another bite. Now, for those of you who say, "This is a blessing! Give him some in a bowl with a spoon and let him feed himself!" I say to you, yes, this is a good idea in theory. But with the boy any bowl, plate or utensil of any kind given to him will land on the floor (with any food on or in said bowl or plate) quicker than Dale Gordon Jr.can get himself around the track. It is insurance that he is keeping me on my toes, and also helps bring me back to reality when I get all wistful about having a tiny baby in the house again. Seriously !!!???!!!

No comments: