22 February, 2009

We Have A Winner!

After a lengthy conversation with a friend over coffee yesterday, and another lengthy phone conversation with another friend the day before, I found myself realizing what PJ had known and tried to tell me: The school that I really thought would be best for Ava was not. It was best for ChildX, one who is average, maybe a little above average academically, but socially and psychologically like all others. Ava, dear friends, is not like all others. The girl is a beautiful butterfly, and if I made that choice it would be like keeping her in a net. She could fly just a little, but not very much, and not to her fullest capabilities. Not to see her fullest potential. So we have decided. The arts school is a match. It is a magnet school, so really making this choice is only the first step. The next step is to turn in the application and pray she gets in. I know in my heart of hearts she will thrive there. It won't always be great, and there will be some issues along the way, but that is realistic. In any school there will be issues. We both feel that this school will help Ava to grow into the person she is feeling good about who she is, and she will learn more and learn better because of it. As I type this I feel so happy. Yesterday when I realized it I felt relief. But now, it's so much beyond that. It's excitement at feeling good about the road we are about to travel with our special special girl. One I hope she finds as enriching and wonderful as possible. One friend who has spent some time with Ava suggested we take her to check it out. She noted how intuitive Ava is, and that she would be able to see what was going on and get a feel for it, and let us know how she feels about it. As one of the options is to turn in the application at any school, I am going to call tomorrow morning and see what day we can come down to turn it in and she can look around.
The applications are due this coming Friday. If they receive more applications than spots available, the rest go into the lottery. A waiting list. Please hope we are in. I am not a patient woman.

No comments: