26 June, 2007

Beet Juice! Beet Juice! Beet Juice!

This morning I prepared the 2 lovely beets we received from the csa Thursday. According to The New Basics cookbook (which I love) there are a few ways to prepare yummy beets. (they're not just from a can people!)
As beets have always been one of my favorite foods, I was quite excited to see them in Thursday's bounty. (when I was preggers with the Birdie I ate beets incessantly. I was afraid she'd come out magenta. Also my friend and ex next door neighbor Kristen also was fond of beets and we would occasionally share a jar.) Most of the recipes in said book called for more beets, you know, like to serve 4, but since there were only two I boiled them and will cut them up and put in the salad left over from last night. PJ makes the best salads, and I got bean sprouts at the grocery last night that I added to mine (love the bean sprouts- I think I like all the veggies most people don't: sprouts, beets, brussel sprouts mmmmmmmmmmm). All that's missing is a hard boiled egg. I have to go now to check the fridge...
We'll see what shows up in this weeks bounty. Last Thursday there were some greens that we got the week before- I prepared them by sauteeing them with shallots in a little olive oil. I used to do Swiss Chard all the time and throw in a little balsamic vinagrette, but I quite liked it simply with the shallots. Laurie (our neighbor and hopefully new friend cause she is great and it seems like we have some similar interests who turned us onto this whole csa thing) said that she gets quite a few helpful recipes from her copy of The Joy of Cooking. I know I could get it new, but lately I have been trying to not buy new things unless absolutely necessary (underwear). Besides, down the street I found my new absolute favorite place of all time, an incredible used book shop. I got Alexis a few Happy Hollisters mysteries for her birthday and a copy of the Tales of Peter Rabbit for Ava, which she is in love with. There's a small room in the back with quite a few cookbooks, and while he presently doesn't have any copies of The Joy of Cooking (I left my name and number for when one comes in) there are surely SEVERAL other vintage cookbooks that I might have to acquire. There are certainly about hundreds of kids books that will become part of our library. The place is a treasure, and had I unlimited funds and space, there would be a large number of books coming home with me. Can you imagine all the kids books we could keep at the cabin for rainy days? I know it will be a small cabin, but we neet at least one bookcase, right? I think I will die a little inside if these kids don't like reading as much as I do. But in this family, it's hard to imagine that gene skipping anyone!

No comments: