28 April, 2008

Miss Ava Thuringer Goes to Kindergarten





So Thursday last week the preschool planned an activity at "The Big School" so the kids could see what they would be getting themselves into in the fall. L offered to watch James for me for the hour and a halfish it would take for me to go, bless her, so I met Ava at "The Big School" for information, socialization, snacks, and hijinks.
By the time I got there, the kids were in the gymnasium meeting the principal, Mr. B. He was telling them a little about the school, and they were lining up to go into the adjoining cafeteria for a snack. We were a little familiar with the gym and cafeteria from the school carnivals we have attended. Ava seemed happy that I was there. I wanted her to share the experience with her friends, and also I seemed to REALLY distract her, so for a bit of it I stayed on the sidelines, just letting her know I was there if she needed anything. Also so I could take a couple of pictures. After the snacks, we went outside to play on the playground and I got to push Ava on the swings. We did this while we waited for the current kindergarten class to be excused. When this happened, we went inside and visited the classroom. It was a good sized room with its own bathroom. When the kids filed through, Ava stopped at a desk in the front row and told me, "This is my desk!" Mrs. L, the preschool directress, nudged me and we laughed. I told her, "Just like her Daddy-NOT like her Mom!" Lastly, Mr. B treated the kids to a story in the library (which was a lot smaller than I was expecting!) about kids' first day at kindergarten and their parents inability to let go. (I must confess, if there's a window, I would probably be caught peeking through it to make sure everything is ok- you know, just for the first few weeks or so :-)) Then the kids were presented with a new #2 pencil and a new water bottle, and we marched back across the street for dismissal. When we got to L's house, she said James was uncertain and barely had played at all. Which is exactly what he did as soon as we set foot in their house. He just wanted to be sure I was coming back for him, I suppose. When we left (which was soon, it was lunchtime) he was none too happy about it. I bet he will be okay if we send him over for playtime without Ava again. He was hesitant the first time at the Y without her, and now walks in like he owns the place. He just needs to be sure.
So there you have it. Ava is all ready for Kindergarten. How did she get to be 5? Wasn't she just teeny? Like yesterday? Ugh!

No comments: