31 October, 2008

Random Music Inspired Memory #4,627,904


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5c2PlgQBaA


(Sorry kids, I cannot embed. Please pause the jukebox and click the link above)

Thursday, June 21, 2001. Eugene, Oregon. Surrounded by family on both sides, I wed Paul Joseph Thuringer Jr. at my uncle's house. It was a beautiful summer day- we could not have asked for nicer. I wore a lovely wedding gown purchased at a bridal consignment shop on Osborn in Phoenix (since then closed, sadly) and altered across the street from PJ's family church on Indian School Road. We shipped the dress and arranged for PJ to rent a tuxedo. We wed on my uncle's front porch that afternoon with my mother, sister,cousin, second cousin (once removed? I don't know how that works, but she is my uncle's cousin and in from Nebraska), and 97 year old grandmother. PJ's mother, stepfather, sister, and uncle were there. My uncle's mother in law and sister and brother in law from Taiwan were there, as was one of their daughters. PJ's friends Donny and Aysia came from Portland with their young son. There were gerbera daisies in small bowls lining the porch railing matching my bouquet. The sun was shining and the minister cleaved us in life together. Afterwards, we went inside to enjoy a beautiful salmon and other lovely dishes prepared by my uncle's amazing wife, Huey Pirn (pronounced whey ping). My grandmother purchased a beautiful, simple wedding cake. As we ate, we celebrated each other and PJ's and my new life together, and listened to the Gipsy Kings.
Driving down State Street on my way to get the kids from school this came on the ipod and transported me back 7 years, the best of my life. Thank you PJ for all you have done and continue to do for our family. And thanks to the Gipsy Kings for bringing this memory to me on this beautiful autumn day.

No comments: