16 September, 2007

Our First Trip to the Johnny Appleseed Festival


wa



Every year, Fort Wayne has a festival honoring the late Johnny Appleseed (who happens to be buried up the street at Johnny Appleseed Park). This festival is the talk of the town, and we decided we would be disappointed to miss it. So made it to early church, came home and changed and off we went. We parked at Dave's house, and walked the rest of the way. There were tons of people there, and as soon as we entered the park I knew I would like it as there was a group playing the bagpipes! They finished suddenly, though, to my disappointment, which didn't last long since there was another band gearing up! The next band marched along and it was quite lovely. I am not sure what (beyond my Irish roots) makes me verklempt at the sound of the pipes, but I truly do love them. I told PJ that the only thing missing from our wedding was a piper. Anyhoo, Ava claims to love it too (my girl!) and I said perhaps we could learn together and form a band with Didi who wants to learn the accordion and Daddy who wants to learn the banjo. Yikes!!! In addition, there were 2 revolutionary war bands (groups?) playing- one was British and one "american". It was all exciting, especially the cannon that went off and scared the heck out of us! People were selling wares and foods, some of which we consumed. We walked around quite a bit till we became tired and then took the kids home for a nap. Which I should be taking now. Hmmm....

No comments: