09 June, 2008

Sunday Afternoon with Snacks and Sprinkler




Safety Patrol Officer Daddy observed that when the Rocket sprinkler toy is used to its utmost effect (as it constantly is) i.e. it is shooting water about 20 feet into the air, it could pose a danger as it could come into contact with the power lines going from the alley to the house. Therefore the Rocket is now a "Front Yard Toy", the first with such a designation. As an alternative for the back, I offered up the pretty sprinkler we purchased at the Home Depot store closing sale (*sob). Ava loved it- she could run through and it was not too much water. James was pretty ambivalent about it, eschewing it for his much loved snacks and staying away as to not get them wet.
We (and by "we" I mean PJ) made a lovely dinner- he grilled pork chops, made baked potatoes on the grill, and we boiled the corn (I always forget to soak it so we can grill it- maybe next time?). It was an awesome dinner! Afterward, I opened my cards and presents. Ava made me a card, with the two of us pictured on the front of the card, and when you opened it up, she had WRITTEN Happy Birthday Mom, Love, Ava. She wrote all that! I got verklempt. What a super smarty! PJ got for me a thermostat that records outdoor as well as indoor temperature. The sensor goes outside, and the unit can rest on the included stand or be hung on the wall (the screw was not included). I have been monitoring temperature pretty much constantly since (at least during waking hours) and it has been interesting. It's downstairs now, so cannot give a current report, but when I go down in a moment to do the laundry I will definitely be checking on it! (Next post will show why this is an important gift.) The kids' got me an adaptor so we can play the ipod in the car! Wahooo! That means I must get off my duff and organize all the music in my itunes account. BEFORE I put on the soundtrack from Saturday Night Fever I got from the library the other day. It will be awesome. We can make playlists for road trips and Ava can listen to favorite songs on her way to school to help her start her day in a good mood. That was a great idea from Mr. T, and one he came up with all by himself!
After presents we took the children and dogs around the block, and came home to have cake (chocolate with chocolate frosting of course) that PJ baked. I was in the baking aisle for about a half an hour trying to decide what kind of cake I wanted. And that everyone else would eat. White cake was boring. Red velvet with cream cheese frosting? Not sure PJ would eat. Lemon cake? We did that for James' birthday. Yellow cake? Maybe too boring. Everyone was getting antsy and I chose the choc/choc combo. Of course I did. I have no idea what took me so long, but it was worth it. PJ did a great job. James wanted to try it but of course did not eat it. I think he might do better without the ice cream next time. If not that's okay, more for us.
That's all for me for now- laundry calls and there's also a new batch of salsa that PJ found time to make yesterday (he must be tired!) that needs to be eaten. Thanks to everyone for their birthday wishes- you know how to make an (older) girl feel great!

No comments: